Sunday, February 02, 2014

defined by words

Tim McBride. 35. Single Dad. Life. Love. God. Passion. Creativity.

Do these phrases define me? This is the beginning of a story about the words that I choose to define who I am. I'm at a point in my life where I am refining definition. I know my name is Tim McBride. Its been a up and down 35 year road to get to this point in my life. I am a divorced single dad of two amazing children. I love Christ with all my heart. I am passionate about all things creative. So yes I am defined by those words. But there is so much more to my life that belies definition.  

I am a man who is full of passion. Most of my passion revolves around all things creative...music, art, film and the written word whether it is my own or words of another. I am moved by the wonder of God in his masterpiece called nature. Who isn't? Only God could create the beauty and complexity that exists outside of the four walls we call home. Nature is where I feel closest to God. My faith feels extremely evident when I am outside seeing, feeling and experiencing His creation.

Last fall I road my Trek mountain bike from my home in Panama City over the Hathaway Bridge to the beach at St Andrews State Park. I then proceeded to hike through the hot sand and over the boulders to the end of the Jetties out in the Gulf of Mexico. It's an easy afternoon journey I've always wanted to experience with the goal of putting into words what my eyes were taking in at the end of the Jetties. When I reached my destination at the sun dripped waters edge and sat down on a car sized boulder and viewed the expanse of ocean and water in front of my eyes I was struck by the magnificence, power and beauty of creation. I don't know about you but that kind of visible beauty inspires and stirs something deep down inside. My soul was moved. I write when I feel those creative juices inside of me begin to surface. Whether my words are any good...I don't know. I've never had anyone critique my writing. But the point that I am trying to make is that I allowed that one moment in my life to inspire me to create something. I pulled out my notebook and wrote. I allowed the feeling and excitement of that moment on the Jetties to transcend from pen to paper. I documented it. I felt it. I wrote it. And when I read those words again...I am back there sitting on that grey boulder. 

I create my art by placing emotion, feeling and passion into written words. I am expressing and sharing my thoughts and feelings for the whole world to see. Am I scared of what others may think of my words? Yes of course I am as I'm human with a natural fear of rejection and judgement based upon my words. But I am happy with who I am and how I choose to define myself. It is MY creativity that I am expressing. It is me.

 I don't intend to ramble but when I start writing about making art in its many forms I get excited. The written word is just one of those forms. The written word's connection and relationship with my love for God's natural creation was the inspirations for these words. More will come in later posts as I have yet to convey how music, film and visual arts inspire and define who I am. Be creative. Be authentic. Be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment